Professors: Christina Chant / Alayne Schroll
Reference/Instruction Librarian: Steven Burks
Office: Library 210
Phone: ext 2354
- SciFinder Scholar -
- Chemisty Discovery Search
- Scopus - Analyze Search Results (Also Searches Medline)
- American Chemical Society Web Edition, MEDLINE, Science Direct
- Medical / Health Resources
*NEW - EasyBib will be replacing RefWorks. You may transfer your RefWorks records into EasyBib.
- Searching Medline / MESH - Medical Subject Headings / Limiters / Review articles
- Forward Citing in SciFinder, Scopus and Google Scholar - Impact Factor
- Google Scholar ranking of search results
- Access - Full-text, Interlibrary Loan, Off-Campus Access, UVM
- Book Requests / Science Direct
- Journal Finder - Locate a journal in a Library Database
- Search Statement - Narrowing a broad topic
- Managing your resources / Setting up alerts on your topic
Medicine/ Health Resources
The following simple search statement can be broken down to searchable terms. Each term can be broken down to synonymous, broader, or narrower terms.
What is the effect of flavonoids on diseases of the heart?
Find related search terms from Article titles and Subject Headings to expand or broaden or narrow your searches. Also, Medline Subject Headings are good place to find related terms.
Medline / MESH Medical Subject Headings
Carcinoid Heart Disease
Cardiac Output, High
Cardiac Output, Low
Heart Defects, Congenital
Heart Valve Diseases
Pulmonary Heart Disease
Rheumatic Heart Disease
Ventricular Outflow Obstruction
Pregnancy Complications, Cardiovascular
Revised Search Statement:
The Pharmacological Mechanism by which Flavonoids Controls Cardiovascular Disease
- You will find yourself revising your search statement as you learn more about your topic. It will get more specific and narrower to the topic you will give for your poster session
Forward Citing in SciFinder and Google Scholar - Impact Factors
Finding who cited a journal can be helpful as a source of relevant articles to a subject and as a way of determining the impact of the article in field of study. A lot of databases have a forward citing function (including SciFinder). Scopus and Google Scholar is good forward citing program.
See Citation Searching
Journals published in a field of study can be evalauted by how many times their articles are cited by other publsihed articles.
See Impact Factors / https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCImago_Journal_Rank
A new protecting group for the sulfhydryl function of cysteine
J. Org. Chem., 1989, 54 (1), pp 244–247
Access: Full-text, Interlibrary Loan, Off-Campus Access, UVM
Look for the check for full text link to access an article in a database. If an article is not availble full text, you may check the Interlibrary Loan link to have the article deliverd as a pdf via email.
All library resouces are available off-campus through the library's proxy server. See http://library.smcvt.edu You will be prompted for your Mikenet/Username and password.
You may use the UVM databases in the Bailey Howell or Dana Medical Library. Use your KnightCard to take out books
RefWorks - Cite your sources
RefWorks allows you to import references from online databases, organize your references into folders, and then create bibliographies. You can select from a variety of style forms (eg APA, MLA). RefWorks is free to the SMC community and available from any computer with Internet access.
Journal Finder - Locate a journal in a Library Database
Use the Journal Finder link in the left column of every library web page. Enter your journal title and you will be given links where the journal can be located.
This can be helpful when reading an article and wanting to find a reference from the works cited list.
Example article - J. Agric. Food Chem., 2010, 58 (9), pp 5597-5603