Applying for a graduate program in TESOL is your first step toward realizing your future as an ESL teacher. Our team is here to help you every step of the way. You can apply online or you can download a paper copy of the Graduate Application and send it to us. If you apply online, all materials are processed online except for your official transcripts, which need to be sent directly from the issuing institution to us at:
Saint Michael's College, Box 253
One Winooski Park
Colchester, VT 05439
For non-native speakers of English, the Saint Michael's Department of Applied Linguistics offers an Intensive English Program for those who do not meet the required English proficiency. Learn more about the Intensive English Program here.
Applicants must meet these requirements:
- You must have a Bachelor's Degree with a grade point average (GPA) of at least 3.0 from an accredited American college or university, or its equivalent from a foreign university.
- You must submit your official transcript(s) of all undergraduate and graduate work, mailed in the original sealed envelope from the issuing institution.
- You must submit two Reference Forms accompanied by letters of recommendation with original signatures, at least one of which should be an academic reference. (ESL Licensure applicants only: Must have one academic or employer reference — whichever is most relevant — and one from a person who has observed your work with children/adolescents in a professional setting.)
- You must submit your resumé.
- You must submit the application fee of $40.00 payable to Saint Michael’s College.
- You must submit a one-to-two page essay describing your educational career objectives with particular emphasis on the following: personal and professional goals, relevant employment experience, why you wish to study at Saint Michael's, and your ability and commitment to undertake graduate level education at this time.
In addition to the aforementioned, international applicants must also meet these requirements:
- For those whom English is not a native language, you must submit an official TOEFL or other English language proficiency test score report.
- You must submit an original letter of support.
- International applicants and applicants for whom English is not a native language should complete the International Applicant section of the Graduate Admission Application. I-20 forms cannot be issued without completion of this form and the supporting financial documentation.
Application for admission to Saint Michael's is not complete until all of the above information is received. You will be informed of the admission decision by letter.
If your English is not strong enough for acceptance into the Master's Program in TESOL, but your other application documentation is acceptable, Saint Michael’s may offer you conditional admission into its MATESOL program. This means you may attend our Intensive English Program until you achieve the required level of proficiency for the MATESOL program.