Not sure you want to complete a full Master’s Degree program in TESOL but still want the core skills? The Graduate Certificate in TESOL is an option within the full MATESOL program. Students who do not wish to pursue a Master’s Degree or who have special training objectives in mind may find that this program best meets their needs.
How it works
Instead of a full 36-credit course load, Graduate Certificate students take 24 credits within the MATESOL menu of courses and receive a Certificate of Graduate Study. The certificate can be earned over two summer terms, two semesters, or on a part-time basis. For students who intend to go on to pursue a MATESOL degree, all of the credits of your certificate may be applied toward your Master’s.
- GSL 500 Foundations of Linguistics
- GSL 502 English Grammar (plus 20 hours grades 7-12 grammar practicum)
- GSL 506 Master's Seminar
- GSL 542 Theory and Method in Language Teaching
- GSL 543 Teaching of Oral Skills in ESOL
- GSL 544 Teaching Reading and Writing in ESOL
- GSL 685 Practicum I: Seminar/Observation
- GSL 689 Special Topic (elective)