Saint Michael's Master's in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (MATESOL) now gives you more flexibility than ever. You can complete the Master in TESOL in as little as 14 months by spending two summers on our beautiful campus in Vermont and taking the remaining TESOL courses online wherever you live in the world.
Summer 1 (12 credits)
- GSL 500 Foundations of Linguistics
- GSL 506 Becoming a TESOL Professional
- GSL 542 Introduction to Language Teaching
- GSL604 Second Language Acquisition
Four online courses during the fall and spring semesters (12 credits):
- GSL 520 Computer-Assisted Language Learning
- GSL 544 Teaching Reading and Writing in ESOL
- GSL 606 Curriculum and Syllabus Design
- GSL 689 Special Seminar in TESOL (elective)
Summer 2 (12 credits)
- GSL 502 English Grammar
- GSL 543 Teaching of Oral Skills in ESOL
- GSL 620 Principles of Testing and Assessment in Language Teaching
- GSL 688 Practicum II: Classroom Teaching
Your first summer semester will introduce you to the lively international atmosphere and close-knit community of our campus. You will get to know the classmates that you'll be interacting with in future semesters online and will sample the joys of the surrounding area which includes Burlington, Lake Champlain, the Green Mountains, and Boston and Montreal, which are just a day-trip away. In the second summer, you will reunite with your friends to finish the TESOL program, all within four semesters! If you are in no hurry, you may also complete the program part-time at a more leisurely pace.
For domestic applicants, see our Admission page. For international applicants, see our International Admission page.