St. Mike's selected for prestigious Fiske Guide to Colleges
Saint Michael's College has again been selected for inclusion in the prestigious Fiske Guide to Colleges, 2013, the 29th edition of what's called "The Best Guide to the Best Colleges," USA Today, "the top-rated guide to the best colleges," and "the bible," by the San Francisco Chronicle.
Compiled by former New York Times education editor Edward B. Fiske, the Fiske Guide to Colleges 2013 is a "selective, subjective, and systematic" look at some 310 colleges and universities in the U.S., Canada, and Great Britain. Fiske selects these from the over 2,200 four-year colleges in the United States, acknowledging that there are many fine institutions not included.
Colleges are examined and described on a broad range of subjects, including student body, academics, social life, financial aid, campus setting, housing, food, and extracurricular activities.
The guide includes independently obtained reviews from students at each institution. Some of the descriptions in the Guide provided by Saint Michael's students are as follows:
- "There is something special to St. Mike's which is hard to put into words," says one sophomore. A junior adds, "Saint Michael's teaches students to go out into the world and work to make it a better place."
- "Saint Michael's offers a plethora of solid programs, including biology, chemistry, English, history, religious studies, mathematics, and psychology."
- "Our education department does an incredible job of preparing us for our licensure and to be passionate, socially just educators with lots of tricks up our sleeves," said a junior.
- "The liberal studies requirements are difficult, but allow students to have a broadened understanding of fields they would not necessarily explore on their own," said one freshman.
- Campuswide activities include comedians, coffeehouse music and poetry performances, and talent shows. Every Friday night, the college hosts the Weekend Grilling Program, which provides free food (hamburgers, hot dogs, or pizza) between 11 PM and 1 AM
- "Volunteering is a huge aspect of life at Saint Michael's," confirms one student. The Mobilization of Volunteer Efforts (MOVE) program was named the United Way's Hometown Hero for 2009—the first time an entire organization received the honor..."
Vermont institutions included in the 2013 Fiske Guide are Bennington, Marlboro, Middlebury, Saint Michael's, and UVM.
About the Author
Edward B. Fiske served for 17 years as education editor of the New York Times, during which time he realized that college-bound students and their families needed better information on which to base their educational choices. He wrote the bestselling annual, the Fiske Guide to Colleges, to help them.
Read the Saint Michael's College article in the Fisk Guide.