Peace and Justice Club
Proclaim and promote the recognition of the dignity of every human person.
The Peace and Justice Club operates under the auspices of the Student Association Secretary of Programming and is charged with: facilitating the establishment of activities designed to enhance the student body’s awareness pertaining to matters of social-political importance; and facilitating and preserving communications and "free speech" on campus.
IF YOU WANT PEACE, WORK FOR JUSTICE.
Pope Paul VI
Start working for justice today by getting involved with Saint Michael's Peace and Justice. To get involved drop by Prof. Laurie Gagne’s office in Klein 112.
Name: The name of the organization shall be the Saint Michael’s College Peace and Justice Club.
Purpose: The Saint Michael’s College Peace and Justice Club seeks to:
- Proclaim and promote the recognition of the dignity of every human person;
- Work with the other justice groups on campus, including Amnesty International, Alianza, Ally, Diversity Coalition, and Martin Luther King Society to coordinate activities and develop a justice network on our campus;
- Provide our community with educational opportunities to better the understanding of our local, national, and global community;
- Work to make the campus a safe environment for all of our community;
- Work cooperatively with the college community to replace competition and hostility between people with understanding and the tolerance of others
- Challenge the Student Association to use its time and resources to promote justice on our campus and in our community
Membership: All members of the Saint Michael's College community including students, faculty and staff are welcome as members.
Administrative Responsibilities: Since the Peace and Justice Club is funded by the Student Association, the Peace and Justice Club functions primarily as a "student" organization. This means that the administration of the Committee is the responsibility of the student members.
Chair: The Chair of the Peace and Justice Club must be an undergraduate student who will be appointed each Spring by the Secretary of Programming of the Student Association. The Chair of the Peace and Justice Club will be selected after submitting a letter of intent to the Secretary of Programming. The responsibilities of the Chair include: Being the primary contact with the Student Association and the administration of Saint Michael’s College. Actively participate on the Programming Committee; maintain contact with the campus, local, national and global peace and justice organizations; planning and coordination of special events with the help of the committee members; meet on a regular basis with the advisor; and any other duties necessary for the survival and growth of the chapter.
Advisor: The faculty/staff Advisor must be a current member of the faculty/staff of Saint Michael’s College. The responsibilities of the Advisor include: working with the Chair and the committee members; working with the administration of Saint Michael’s College; promoting the stability and the long term growth of the committee; and offering counsel and support to the student leaders.
Amending this Constitution: This Constitution may be amended only through a two-thirds vote of the Saint Michael’s College Peace and Justice Club.