How Does it Work?
The Green Office Certification program was designed to educate and encourage members of the Saint Michael’s community to adopt sustainable practices in their workplaces. Sustainability is about what you do as an individual and what we all do together as a College and society. The Green Office Certification program was created to help offices and departments identify sustainable behaviors and practices that individuals can adopt in their office setting as well as incorporate personal habits that can be shared among colleagues.
The program involves four levels of certification: Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum. Offices/departments attain a certain level of certification by accumulating points as they implement the action items: Bronze: 60-70; Silver: 71-85; Gold 86-100; Platinum: 101-115.
How Does an Office/Department get Certified?
- Download the Green Office Certification calculator. Rename the file with your Office name: i.e. Green Office Certification SUSTAINABILITY.
- Talk with everyone in the office/department about the certification (there must be 100% agreement among everyone within the department/office, including work study students.)
- Go through the calculator and fill out points for all items already completed. Go through the calculator and determine as an office what items can be incorporated (*you may only receive points for items already implemented, so be sure to ONLY seek certification once you have implemented all items that the office is able to do at the current time*)
- When the Office is ready, e-mail the Green Office calculator document filled out to the Sustainability Coordinator (email@example.com). The Office of Sustainability will review and contact the department’s liaison to set up a time to meet and go over.
- After the meeting there will be a 2 week grace period during which members of the Office of Sustainability will visit (unannounced) members of the department/office to make sure certain items are being followed. At the end of the 2 week grace period, the office/department will officially be certified. (After the official certification, Office of Sustainability staff will still periodically check-up to make sure actions are being followed; consequences will occur for violations.)
Certification is good for 1 year from award date. The office/department must get recertified in order to maintain all the perks below.
What does Certification Mean?
Certified Offices reserve the right to brag all they want among their peers! In addition, offices/departments that receive certification may display their certification logo on the department’s webpage, will receive a Certificate as well as signage to display however each staff member chooses. Please note that certification is good for 1 year, for all the above to remain in effect, you must get recertified when 1 year is up (if the office/department is found to be in violation of their certification, all the above will be revoked).
Special thanks to Office of Sustainability work study student Sarah Main, Class of 2014, for playing a big role in helping to create the program.