Quad Commons Student Center and Residential Hall
As of mid-May, the Quad Commons project is proceeding well and on schedule.
With the end of the academic year, site work is in full force, including reworking the rotunda between Alliot and Joyce to finish some utility work and create a plaza with grass, sidewalks, pavers, screening and sitting walls. A new crosswalk and sidewalk is being created from Cashman, Canterbury and Pontigny to the front of the new Student Center.
In the Residence Hall, workers are finishing up brick work, working on connections to Lyons and Alumni at bridge connectors at second levels, completing the window installation and painting the interior walls. Doors are mostly installed and lighting is in living spaces and some hallways.
In the Student Center, exterior brickwork and roofing are nearly complete. Most walls are in place and sheathed with sheetrock. The monumental stair is in, the tile on the bathroom walls has started, the space for Einstein Brothers Bagels and the Grill is taking shape and framing for the arches in the solarium is beginning.
Both spaces will be ready for the opening of the academic year in late August.
Quad Commons Features
- Einstein Bros. Bagels will be serving up breakfast, lunch, and dinner in the Quad Commons. The bagel shop, part of the nation's largest chain of bagel bakeries, features "food that is fast, but never tastes that way." Service, including sandwiches, salads, and gourmet coffee, supplemented with grill offerings by Sodexo, will be available.
- Comfortable new student residences on four levels with 105 beds, 15 single rooms, 22 four- person suites, and two RA rooms on each floor
- A three-story student center including a a café, social lounge, digital lounge, fitness center, game lounge, radio station, meditation space and solarium
- A geo-thermal heat pump system with fully integrated components
- Daylight dimming technology to balance interior lighting with natural daylight
- Large window spaces that use high-performance triple-pane technology
- Occupancy sensors to turn off lights when spaces are unoccupied
- High-efficiency lighting including 60% high efficiency florescent light fixtures, 40% LED (light emitting diode) lights
The Quad Commons improves Saint Michael's living and learning facilities, expanding opportunities for our students' intellectual, social and physical growth, and will serve as an environment to increase intellectual interaction and mentoring between all class years.
Read a press release of the Quad Commons project.