Ph.D. Ohio University
B.A. University of Delaware
View my Curriculum Vitae
- 2010-Present Assistant Professor, Department of Biology, Saint Michael’s College
- 2008-2009 Assistant Professor, Div. of Basic Pharm. Sciences, Xavier Univ., Coll. of Pharmacy
- 2007-2008 Assistant Professor, Department of Biology, Xavier University of Louisiana
- 2005-2007 Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Washington, Otolaryngology Department
- 2002-2004 Postdoctoral Fellow, Emory University, Biology Department
- 1995-2002 Ph.D., Neuroscience Program, Ohio University
- 1990-1994 B.A., Biology and Psychology Double Major, University of Delaware
Areas of Expertise:
Neurobiology / Neuroscience; Neuron Networks; Computer Modeling; Comparative Biology; Electrophysiology; Biophysical Modeling
Courses I Teach:
- Communications in the Biological Sciences
- Human and Comparative Anatomy
- Introduction to Cell Biology and Genetics
My recent scholarship involves both neurophysiology and computer modeling of biological processes. Through this experience, Saint Michael's College is now one of a relatively few institutions that offers in-class experiences recording from single neurons and small networks of neurons, as well as working with computer models of these same neurons.
IR Davenport, AL Weaver, JP Wourms (2011) A Novel Set of Structures Within the Elasmobranch, Ovarian Follicle. J Morphol. May 2011; 272(5):557–565.
AL Weaver, RC Roffman, BJ Norris, RL Calabrese (2010) A Role for Compromise: Synaptic Inhibition and Electrical Coupling Interact to Control Phasing in the Leech Heartbeat CPG. Front Behav Neurosci. July 2010; 4(38):1-17.
J Meitzen, AL Weaver, EA Brenowitz, DJ Perkel (2009) Plastic and stable electrophysiological properties of adult avian forebrain song-control neurons across changing breeding conditions. J Neurosci. May 2009; 29(20):6558-67.
SL Hooper, E Buchman, AL Weaver, JB Thuma, KH Hobbs (2009) Slow conductances could underlie intrinsic phase-maintaining properties of isolated lobster (Panulirus interruptus) pyloric neurons. J Neurosci, Feb 2009; 29(6):1834-1845.
BJ Norris*, AL Weaver*, A Wenning, PA Garcia, RL Calabrese (2007) A central pattern generator producing alternative outputs: Pattern, strength and dynamics of premotor synaptic input to leech heart motor neurons. J Neurophysiol, Nov 2007; 98:2992-3005.
BJ Norris*, AL Weaver*, A Wenning, PA Garcia, RL Calabrese (2007) A central pattern generator producing alternative outputs: Phase relations of leech heart motor neurons with respect to premotor synaptic input. J Neurophysiol, Nov 2007; 98:2983-2991.
2011-2012 Project Grant Award and two student grants, Vermont Genetics Network
2010 VPAA Summer Research Grants and two student grants, Saint Michael’s College
Characterize the central pattern generator neurons and their synaptic connections of the heartbeat system of North American leeches.
I have mentored several undergraduate researchers on independent research projects, including Kristen Cowens, Danielle Shepard, and Amanda Willette.
Life Off Campus:
Outside Saint Michael's, I enjoy cycling, skiing, computer programming and music production.