Many local and regional organizations offer health-related internships to Saint Michael's College students, including:
- American Red Cross
- Associates in Orthodontics
- Boston Children’s Hospital
- Burlington Emergency Veterinary Specialists
- Community Health Centers of Burlington
- Essex Physical Therapy
- First Choice Physical Therapy
- Maitri Health Care for Women
- NxStage Medical
- Pfizer Pharmaceuticals
- Rite Aid Pharmacy
- University of Vermont Medical Center
- Vermont Department of Health
Volunteering with local health providers is a great way to help the community while gaining valuable experience. For information about finding clinical experiences and making the most out of your volunteer opportunities, visit the Association of American Medical Colleges.
Saint Michael's College Fire and Rescue
The SMC Rescue Unit is a unique way for students to gain real-world, hands-on medical experience. Student crews respond to 2200 calls annually, dealing with medical emergencies in nearby towns. Student volunteers can earn CPR, EMT, and Advanced EMT certification.
University of Vermont Medical Center
There are many positions available at the nearby UVM Medical Center, including:
- Art from the Heart: Assist with art sessions for children on the Pediatrics Unit
- Emergency Department Waiting Room: Serve as a liaison between staff, family, and patients. Escort visiting family members.
- Pediatrics: Participate in Child Life Play Program: involve pediatric patients in play activities. Training provided by Child Life Specialist.
- Surgical Intensive Care Unit/Medical Intensive Care Unit Liaison: Assist staff by supporting families of patients who are in the SICU/MICU waiting areas. Act as a liaison between families and staff.
- No One Dies Alone Volunteer: Volunteer to sit vigil with dying patients in the absence of family or friends.
Visiting Nurse Association
The Visiting Nurse Association provides volunteer opportunities in hospice, respite care, and other areas.