You have an academic background in psychology, social sciences, humanities, or the arts. You are caring, committed, empathetic, and disciplined. You pride yourself on your integrity, both as a student and a professional. If this sounds like you, we invite you to apply for admission to the Clinical Psychology Graduate Program at Saint Michael's.
You can apply online or you can download a paper copy of the Graduate Application and send it to us. If you apply online, all materials are processed online except for your official transcripts, which need to be sent directly from the issuing institution to us at:
Saint Michael's College
Colchester, VT 05439
Applicants must meet these requirements:
- Submit a completed application.
- Have a Bachelor's Degree from an accredited American college or university, or its foreign university equivalent, with a concentration in psychology or related discipline. Please note that the program director may require that a third party evaluate foreign academic credentials.
- Have achieved a 3.0 GPA on undergraduate course work and a minimum of 3.25 GPA in psychology and on any Post-Graduate courses taken.
- Submit your official transcript(s) of all undergraduate and graduate work, mailed in the original sealed envelope from the issuing institution.
- Have completed a minimum of 250 hours of supervised work experience in mental health or closely related human services position - paid or volunteer. This work should be supervised by a person with a masters degree in mental health and should involve training and attendance in clinical team meetings, where individual clinical cases are reviewed and discussed.
- Submit 2 references with accompanying letters that address your academic and professional potential. One reference must address your academic potential by a professor in your most recent academic experience. The other reference must address your work experiences in the human services, demonstrating that you are effective in working with others in a helping capacity. This letter must also include verification of 250 hours of work supplied by a clinical supervisor with at least a Master's Degree. Please use the Reference Forms provided in the application and read the instructions on the form for proper handling.
- Submit your resumé.
- Have taken the following psychology courses, if you were not a psychology concentration:
- General Psychology
- Developmental Psychology (or Child Psychology)
- Abnormal Psychology
- Statistics and Research Methods (year-long, 6-credit course) (One semester of Statistics and one semester of Research Methods or a combination of both in one course - one year long).
- Physiological Psychology and Social Psychology are not required but are highly recommended.
- Submit a 4-5 page, double spaced, autobiographical essay describing how you became interested in a career in professional psychology, including those pivotal experiences as a student, intern, patient, or observer of the mental health system. This essay serves not only as a writing sample, but also to convey who you are as a person and how you perceive our program as compatible with your personal and professional goals.
- Participate in an interview, once all application materials have been submitted and your file is complete.
- Submit the application fee of $50, payable to Saint Michael's College.
- It is preferable for students to be the Program in the fall semester.
If you’re an international applicant…
International applicants, and applicants for whom English is not their native language, should go to the International Applicants page.
You will be informed of the admission decision by letter, after all requirements of the admission process have been satisfied, including the interview. Admission decisions are made by the program director, after consulting with faculty and staff in the program. In order to provide personalized and high quality graduate training in clinical psychology, it is necessary to limit the size of the program. The admission process, therefore, is competitive. Please note that meeting minimum application requirements and following admission procedures does not guarantee acceptance into the program.