Saint Michael's College Applied Linguistics Department is proud to host a Coverdell Fellows Program for returning Peace Corps volunteers who have served in the English language teaching field. Applicants can build on their Peace Corps teaching experience and receive considerable benefits from their service while working toward their Master of Arts degree in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (MATESOL).
The benefits package offered to Coverdell Fellows is equal to more than a 33 percent discount of total program tuition costs:
- Advanced Standing for Peace Corps service based on Peace Corps training in TEFL with associated practical teaching experience (equivalent to 9 credits, currently a $5,310 value)
- Scholarship (for 1 additional course – currently $1770)
- Waiver of application fee ($50).
- Waiver of Diploma fee ($60)
A volunteer teaching internship experience in a local English language training program for a period of at least 9 months.
MATESOL Course work of 27 credits taken over three semesters. Program courses include the following 3-credit courses:
- GSL 500- Foundations of Linguistics
- GSL 502- English Grammar
- GSL 506- Becoming a TESOL Professional
- GSL 542- Introduction to Language Teaching
- GSL 543- Teaching Oral Skills in ESOL
- GSL 544- Teaching Reading and Writing in ESOL
- GSL 604- Second Language Acquisition
- GSL 620- Principles of Testing and Assessment in Language Teaching
- 1 additional elective course
Two electives are waived in light of Peace Corps training and teaching experience. The extended teaching internship will substitute for the teaching practicum requirement (GSL 688).
Applications will be accepted for August, January, or June starting dates.
- Copy of signed Peace Corps Description of Service that shows training and experience in English language teaching.
- A Bachelor's Degree with a grade point average (GPA) of at least 3.0 from an accredited American college or university, or its equivalent from a foreign university.
- Official transcript(s) of all undergraduate and graduate work, mailed in the original sealed envelope from the issuing institution.
- Two reference forms accompanied by letters of recommendation with original signatures, at least one of which should be an academic reference.
- A résumé.
- A $50 application fee. (Waived for Coverdell Fellows.)
- A one-to-two page essay describing your educational career objectives with particular emphasis on the following: personal and professional goals, relevant employment experience, why you wish to study at Saint Michael's College, and your ability and commitment to undertake graduate-level education at this time.
Dr. Daniel W. Evans firstname.lastname@example.org
Coordinator of Peace Corps Coverdell Fellows Program
Administrative Assistant for TESOL Graduate Programs email@example.com