The Second Language requirement at St. Michael's requires students to complete or place out of the equivalent of two semesters of college-level language learning. Students can meet the requirement in four ways:
- Pass the 101 and 102 courses (101/211 in Latin and Greek) at St. Michael's in any language (students may possibly place into 102 via the placement test and successfully meet the requirement in one semester). Chinese, French, Greek (in Spring 2017), Italian, Latin, and Spanish will be offered at St. Michael's in the 2016-17 academic year.
- Score a 3 or higher (4 in Latin) on a language Advanced Placement exam.
- Achieve the following scores on an SAT Subject Test: Modern Hebrew - 510; Chinese - 590; Italian, Japanese, Latin, or Spanish - 600; French - 610.
- Test out of the requirement via the St. Michael's Placement Test (info below)
It is strongly recommended that all students who have previously studied a language take a placement test, regardless of their intention to continue at St. Michael's. Students who have fulfilled the language requirement via testing may wish to continue studying that language; if so, you should request an upper-level course in a language via the placement chart below, which will be confirmed by the on-campus written tests available during the summer or at Fall Orientation.
French and Spanish Placement Test
Placement tests in French and Spanish have both online and in-person written components
. Again, it is strongly
recommended that all students who have previously studied a language take a placement test, regardless of their intention to continue at St. Michael's. Please follow these instructions:
- Access the placement test at this link.
- Please use the password exactly as listed: knights1 (all lower case).
- Choose French or Spanish.
- After successful login to the placement test Web page, you will then be asked to enter your name and SMCID number. Supply an email address to initiate a test record file. Please answer all the other questions on that page.
- Once the record identification information is entered, the computer will prepare the test for you. The first screen briefly explains that you are to respond to multiple choice questions by selecting and confirming the letter of the correct answer. The test takes approximately 20 minutes to complete, depending on your level. To ensure you have understood the instructions, a sample test item is given. After this screen, the test begins. As you proceed through the test, the computer selects and displays items based upon your previous responses to previous items.
- At the conclusion of the test, the computer displays your performance level. It is advisable to print a copy of the screen showing your score. Once you complete the placement test, your scores will also be sent directly to the Department of Modern Languages and Literature at Saint Michael’s College.
- Refer to the score matrix listed below for recommended placement, and enter that course in your list of requested Liberal Studies Curriculum courses on the Academic Form if you wish to study a language this fall. Your entrance advisor will also review your score and placement.
- If you score above 240, you should take the written portion of the placement test on campus during the summer or on the Thursday of Fall Orientation.
- If your test session is interrupted and you have not completed the placement test, you must login again and enter your information EXACTLY as you did when you started the test and then click Resume.
- Students take the placement test only once. If taken multiple times, only the first score will be counted.
After taking the online component, students who score 240 or above in that system must take a written placement exam on campus, available any weekday during the summer (please email email@example.com to let us know when you’ll be here) or on Thursday of Fall Orientation.
After taking the online portion of the exam for French or Spanish, you should request placement at the following levels based on the following scores (with placement confirmed by the written portion):
- Scores between 0-258: Select FR/SP 101
- Scores between 259-319: Select FR/SP 102
- Scores between320-369: Select FR/SP 203 (if desired)
- Scores 370 and above: Select FR/SP 206
Languages Other Than French or Spanish
Students who have studied languages other than French or Spanish and wish to continue in college or to place out of the Second Language requirement must take a written placement exam on campus, available any weekday during the summer (please email firstname.lastname@example.org
to let us know when you’ll be here) or on Thursday of Fall Orientation. All students with any amount of language experience are encouraged to take the test to determine appropriate placement. Again, it is strongly
recommended that all students who have previously studied a language take a placement test, regardless of their intention to continue at St. Michael's.
If you have studied a language other than French or Spanish in high school for three or more years, you should select the second semester course in that language (or higher if you feel very confident in your abilities) on your Academic Form, and placement will be confirmed via the written test. If you studied one or two years, you should request the first semester course. It is possible you will be placed ahead based on testing.