Identifying and Processing Damaged Books
Depending on use and condition, damaged books may be repaired, discarded, bound, or a new copy purchased to replace the existing copy.
- If a book simply needs relabeling, put on "Relabel" shelf in Circulation
- If the book is damaged, in the library catalog, change the status of the book to "Damaged"
- Take the book to the Acquisitions Department
- Use "damaged book" bookmark
- Scan the item’s barcode and note on the bookmark:
Date item created
Number of historical charges
Date of last transaction
Number of historical browses
Collection Services will determine whether to repair, discard, bind, or purchase a new copy. If a determination is made to bind or repair: Collection Services will bring book to Cataloging Dept and place on "Bindery" bookshelf
- Repair: Cataloging Dept will repair designated books.
- Bindery: For books sent to the bindery, Cataloging Dept will change the status in the library catalog to "Bindery".