For International Students and Scholars


What do I need to know before I travel outside the U.S.?

Make sure that your current passport is valid for at least 6 months after your planned re-entry to the US. Also check that your US visa will be valid when you plan to return to the US. If it is expired or will expire while you are outside the country, you will need to apply for and receive a new US visa before you can return. Also, check that page two of your Form I-20 was signed within 12 months of your planned return date. If you plan on travelling to another country besides your home country, check to make sure you have any visas that are required.  


What documents do I need to visit Canada?

All students will need a valid passport and Form I-20. Depending upon your country of citizenship, you may also need a tourist visa or Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to enter or transit Canada. To check if you need a visa or eTA to visit or transit Canada and for information about how to apply for a Canadian visa, click here. Submit your application to the Canadian Embassy well in advance of your trip.


What do I do if I receive a Form I-515A at a port of entry?

If you arrive at a port of entry without the necessary documents (i.e., your Form I-20 has not been signed or you forgot it), the Customs & Border Protection Officer may allow you to enter the United States temporarily for 30 days. You may also be subject to secondary inspection and receive a Form I-515A. Please see the International Student Advisor upon your return to campus for assistance in processing the paperwork necessary to request a change of status before your temporary status expires.

Learn What Matters