At Saint Michael's College students, staff and faculty work together to promote sustainability in all of its dimensions. We use our campus as a classroom to educate the campus community about the importance of living sustainably. This means using natural resources wisely and efficiently, in ways that preserve them for future generations. The college embraces its obligation to contribute to a socially and ecologically responsible world by connecting students, staff and faculty with opportunities to create a sustainable future. In utilizing the campus as a living laboratory for sustainability, the college seeks to provide students with the necessary knowledge, values, skills and confidence for being change makers in the 21st century.
A newly-established Sustainability Committee makes recommendations regarding sustainability to President Lorraine Sterritt, who is strongly supportive of an institutional commitment to sustainability. The membership of the committee includes students, staff and faculty. They meet regularly to discuss priorities and goals, and to implement campus initiatives focused on sustainable solutions to multifaceted institutional challenges and educational programs to equip students with skills to create change and better understand our rapidly changing planet.
We take every opportunity to be mindful and to appreciate the beauty and the limits of the natural world.
At a Glance:
- Saint Michael’s has universal recycling and composting, based upon the Vermont law that is designed to keep as much solid waste as possible out of the landfill
- Saint Michael’s Eco-Reps are undergraduate student leaders who promote sustainability on campus
- The college uses both geothermal energy and a solar array for heating, cooling and electricity in order to reduce our carbon emissions
- In 2017 Saint Michael’s became just the 27th college in the country to receive the designation of Bee Campus USA
- The 400 acre Natural Area adjacent to campus provides resources for long-term research and environmental education programs
- Saint Michael’s was among the first colleges to sign on to the St. Francis Pledge, a commitment to care for Creation and the Poor and to live our faith by protecting God's Creation and advocating on behalf of people in poverty who face the harshest impacts of global climate change. Click to learn more about the St. Francis Pledge.