Alumni Training Information
Thank you for volunteering for the Office of Admission at Saint Michael’s College. We appreciate your support of our efforts. Before your admission activity, please review the following materials to familiarize yourself with the latest and greatest at SMC:
College Fair Program
One of the most important ways of introducing Saint Michael’s College to prospective students and their parents is through the college fair program at a local high school or event center. The role of the college representative (that’s you!) during these programs should be that of an enthusiastic and understanding advocate of Saint Michael’s College. Your goal is to provide students and families with information to the best of your ability, and to encourage students to sign up to join our mailing list. Please be sure to look at the information in the purple folder of your college fair box, because that has specific information about your event. Please remember to take notes and fill out the back so we know how it went!
- Please plan to arrive at the college fair at least 30 minutes before the starting time to allow time for parking and setup. Some fairs require you to check in at registration. Some fairs include a light dinner, snacks, or water, so please help yourself before the event.
- During the program, please interact with the students and families who visit the table. Encourage them to fill out an inquiry card and hand out booklets. Respond to questions. Ask them questions-what do they know about SMC, do they have a major in mind, etc. Remember that no one knows all of the answers and if a student or parent is curious about topic which is unfamiliar to you offer to write down the question and I can follow up, or hand out one of the business cards provided for them to reach out. You must wear the name tag provided, you cannot hand out any candy or special giveaways, and you must stand behind the table when talking about SMC. These are rules and regulations set forth by NACAC, the National Association for College Admission Counseling.
- At the end of the evening complete the Contact Report Sheet. Return the Contact Report Sheet, completed inquiry cards, tablecloth, majors/minors board, purple folder with nametag, and leftover materials in the enclosed self-addressed bubble envelope. You’ll find a link to a generic sheet, but please use the one provided if you can.
Alumni Interview Program
The alumni interview is an opportunity to exchange information between a prospective student and SMC. We learn more about a student’s high school experience and they learn more about Saint Michael’s College. It is a great opportunity to share with him/her the benefits of a Saint Michael’s education! Please get to know the student, and encourage them to share any exciting news or academic concerns with you.
- Scheduling the interview: Discuss with the prospective student a day, date, time and location that is convenient to meet for the interview. Panera, Starbucks, local library, school guidance office, etc.- please do not agree to meet in anyone’s private home.
- Before the interview please read through the admission publications and links at the top of this page to brush up on basic information. They address many of the questions you may be asked during the interview. The Interview Questions sheet will serve as a guideline for the interview, but please feel free to let the conversation run naturally.
- Remember, no one knows all of the answers and if a student asks a question you are unable to answer, tell them I will get back to them and be sure to make a note of it in your notes. Feel free to use the back of the interview form so as not to forget.
- After the interview, please summarize your thoughts about the interview on the back of the interview sheet and scan and send it to me, or complete the form electronically and email both that and typed notes to email@example.com
- It is important to note that although we can explain the admission process and describe the academic profile of students who currently attend Saint Michael’s, admission decisions are the responsibility of the admission committee. As such, it is our policy to refrain from any comments about the student’s chances of being accepted to the college.
Saint Michael’s College Book Award Presentation
The Saint Michael’s College Book Award for Academic Achievement with a Social Conscience is a wonderful illustration of our mission. We value the opportunity to recognize high school juniors who have done well academically and have a commitment to community service. We want to recognize those students who want to make the world a better place.
Thank you for agreeing to present the Saint Michael’s College Book Award for Academic Achievement with a Social Conscience at a local high school award ceremony. Please plan to arrive at least 15 minutes before the award ceremony begins and check with the coordinator of the event where you should be seated. Once you have presented the book award please do not feel obligated to stay for the entire event. If you would like the direct contact information for the high school, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate the school name, location, and ceremony date and we will be happy to get that to you ASAP.
Be sure to read the following text at the awards ceremony:
Thank you for your support of the Office of Admission at Saint Michael’s College. We couldn’t do this without you, and who better to represent us than the people who know it best?!
Any questions? During regular business hours Monday-Friday 8:00 AM – 4:30 PM please call 802-654-3000. Otherwise please email me at email@example.com
Jacob Pelletier ’14