Many students here at St. Mike’s choose to earn academic credit for their internship experiences. Students who are planning to complete an academic internship will need to take the following steps:
1. Meet with your Academic Advisor to:
- Discuss your plan to pursue an internship for academic credit
- Decide if a credit-bearing internship will fit in with your overall academic plan
- Ask about departmental internship requirements
- Ask about internship course registration and faculty supervision for your major
2. Meet with a career coach in your area of interest
Making an appointment in Handshake will direct you to the correct coach. Connecting with a career coach will provide you with the opportunity to:
- Learn about the internship search and application process
- Identify relevant opportunities and helpful resources
- Ask questions and get help throughout the process
3. Secure an internship site
Secure an internship site that meets the criteria established by your major and the College, this will be determined by your Career Coach.
4. Register for an internship course during the open course registration period
The internship course options are as follows: ID-498 (any major) for a first internship or ID-499 for a second internship or an independent internship with a faculty supervisor.
5. Obtain permission from your Career Coach to access the forms you need to complete
These forms are all electronic and live in Handshake; the Experiences link is a workflow for you to get everything in place for your academic internship before the semester begins.