Message from the Alumni Association President
One of the things I like most about being involved with the Alumni Association, besides visiting campus three times a year, is keeping up with all the great things happening at our alma mater. This past year has been especially amazing:
- We welcomed our 17th president, and the first woman (!), Dr. Lorraine Sterritt in July 2018. It was a great moment for all of us on the Alumni Board of Directors to witness her inauguration and to hear her inspirational remarks. President Sterritt has been traveling extensively to meet alumni and understands how important this group is to the wider College community.
- Three new majors and one new center have recently launched. Health Science and Public Health in October 2018, and Criminology in September 2019. The board heard a fabulous presentation by Prof. Bob Brenneman about the Criminology major and feels it’s a great addition to our academic offerings. We are also excited about the new Center for the Environment under the direction of alumna Kristyn Achillich ’05 which will provide wonderful opportunities to expose our students to farms, food systems, and much more!
- SMC welcomed 1700 undergraduate students in 2019. St. Mike’s now has students from over 36 states and 20 countries.
- Thanks to all of our nominators, we successfully completed the Second Annual Nominate a Knight Challenge. This year the competition featured students vs students (congrats seniors!) and alumni vs alumni (congrats Class of 2011!) with 294 total nominations. You can nominate year-round by visiting https://admission.smcvt.edu/register/nafk-scholarship.
- There are numerous programs designed to bring current students and faculty together with alumni from around the world to mentor, job shadow, and provide internship opportunities. A huge part of this endeavor has been the successful launch of SMC Connect – our networking and mentoring platform just for the Saint Michael’s Community. We have nearly 2,000 users who are connecting daily for career advice. Register at smcvt.wisr.io.
There are many more things I’d love to share with you, but not enough space in this column. I’d encourage all alumni to visit the “Get Involved” page on the College website and give back to the school that made a difference in your life. I did – and it was easy!
I would like to thank our outgoing President of the Alumni Association, Craig Duffy, ’06 who is now a member of the Board of Trustees. Craig was a member of the Alumni Board for over seven years and Co-Chaired the Annual Career Symposium, sponsored each year by the Alumni Board of Directors. His dedication to St Mike’s was never more evident than last March when he got up at 5 a.m. and drove to campus from Boston for a Board Meeting in a full-on blizzard! And then he turned right around after the meeting and drove home to his wife and young son, Ryan (Class of 2042). We will miss his ability to keep our meetings on track, and his mild mannered common sense approach to problem solving. We wish him well as he starts his two-year term on the Board of Trustees.
George Bowen ’92
Alumni Association President