MATESOL + PK-12 Licensure Program
Earn your Master's Degree and recommendation for your initial ELL VT state teaching license.
In order to teach in Vermont’s public schools, MATESOL students must concurrently pursue the ELL (English Language Learner) Initial Teacher Licensure Program, which is administered by the Graduate Education Program. The Licensure Program prepares students to teach multilingual learners in public schools in Vermont at all levels. You may choose to pursue a license for PK-Grade 6, Grades 7-12, or PK-Grade 12.
A critical component of the Licensure Program is Practicum – performing student teaching in a local public school. Burlington’s area schools provide a wide array of opportunities to teach multilingual learners, with its high population of resettled families from all over the world.
In addition to student teaching, the Licensure Program requires the submission of a portfolio. Students will work closely with their advisors to ensure that their Vermont Licensure Portfolios adequately demonstrate their knowledge, skills and experience in teaching multilingual learners.
Acceptance to the MATESOL Program does not automatically ensure acceptance to the ELL Initial Teacher Licensure Program. You should apply to both the MATESOL Degree Program and the Graduate Education ELL Licensure Program concurrently. After acceptance to the Master in TESOL program, you will be contacted by an advisor from Graduate Education to set up an interview.
Recommended Course Sequence
- GED 516 – Educational Foundations: Understanding the Past and Creating the Future Credits: 3 cr.
- GSL 500 – Foundations of Linguistics Credits: 3 cr.
- GSL 542 – Introduction to Language Teaching Credits: 3 cr.
- GSL 543 – Teaching of Oral Skills in ESOL Credits: 3 cr.
- GSL 546 – K-12 Literacy for ELL Credits: 3 cr.
- GSL 612 – Bilingualism and Multicultural Education Credits: 3 cr.
- GED 542 – Pre-K-12 Curriculum and Assessment Credits: 4 cr.
- GED 520 – Child and Adolescent Development Credits: 3 cr.
- GSL 655 – Language Learning & Assessment for Children Credits: 3 cr.
- GED 612 – Math and Diversity Credits: 3 cr.
- GED 641 – Teaching in the Inclusive Classroom Pre-K-12 Credits: 3 cr.
- GSL 547 – ESOL in the Content Areas Credits: 3 cr.
- GED 550 – Student Teaching Internship Credits: 6 cr.
- GED 555 – Student Teaching Seminar Credits: 3 cr.
For more information on the MATESOL+ PK-12 Licensure Program, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.