Dual Enrollment, Cross-Registration and Exchange Programs

Click below for information on our programs.

Saint Michael’s College, Champlain College, and the University of Vermont have formed a partnership that allows undergraduate degree-seeking students in good standing to enhance their educational program by taking classes at the partner institutions as part of their regular course load. This agreement applies only to classroom courses offered during the academic year, and not to summer session or online courses.

Cross registrations are accepted on a space available basis only. Available spaces will be determined by each institution at the completion of their main registration periods, late November for spring semester classes, and late April for fall classes.

Courses at the University of Vermont are limited to selections from the Studio Art, Art History, and Language class offerings.

Cross-registrations are limited to one course per student per term.

Eligible students must be undergraduate degree-seeking students with a minimum enrollment status of three-quarter time (including the cross registration course).

For courses completed at Champlain College: The home institution (SMC) receives the tuition and awards the academic credits for its own students. All credit earned through this cross-registration agreement, including “D” work, may be applied toward residency and other degree requirements. Champlain College posts course offerings at: https://classlist.champlain.edu/

For courses completed at the University of Vermont: The home institution (SMC) receives the tuition. The host institution (UVM) will issue the academic credit. These credits will be treated as transfer credit, and an official transcript must be sent to the home institution upon completion of the coursework. Per the transfer credit policy of Saint Michael’s College, academic credit will be awarded only for coursework earning a final grade of C minus or better. The University of Vermont posts course offerings at: https://www.uvm.edu/registrar

While there are no special registration fees charged to participate in the cross-registration process, individual students will be responsible for any normally assigned course fees. Students shall be reminded of such fees at the time of registration. The registration process will not be completed until arrangements for payment have been satisfied by the respective finance office.

Students will observe all regulations in effect at the host institution during the term in which they are enrolled including, but not limited to, academic integrity policies, calendar deadlines and procedures for withdrawing from classes.

Under the agreement, Saint Michael’s College students registering at Champlain College or the University of Vermont must complete the cross registration form as part of the registration process. This can be done in-person, via fax or sent via email with the pdf document attached.

Students will need to make arrangements for parking privileges with the host institution and pay any associated fees.

Please contact the Registrar’s Office for further information. Saint Michael’s College students call 802.654.2571 or visit Klein Hall, Suite C.

The State of Vermont’s Dual Enrollment Program enables high school juniors and seniors to take courses at participating colleges with tuition paid for by a state-funded program.

To qualify, students must be State of Vermont residents and be “publically funded” (that is, attending a public high school in Vermont or attending a high school that’s not a Vermont public high school, but with tuition paid by their hometown in Vermont).

Students interested in Dual Enrollment must apply for a state-issued voucher for the semester in which they wish to enroll in the college course. There’s information about applying for a voucher at the Vermont Dual Enrollment website. A student may receive up to two vouchers in the junior and senior years.

The voucher covers the cost of tuition for up to a four-credit course. Students are responsible for the cost of textbooks and any course fees or lab fees. Some funding may be available through VSAC to help with these additional costs for students who qualify for lunch subsidies at their schools.

College courses given in fall, spring or summer terms are available through the Dual Enrollment Program, however students are not be eligible for courses in the summer term after their graduation.

In addition to securing a voucher from the state, students must get the approval from the high school (the principal or designee) for the course they propose to take at the college. In order to qualify for this program, the college course must count for the student’s high school graduation.

After confirmation from the State of Vermont that the student has been granted a voucher, and after receiving approval from the high school for the course, the student should submit an application form to Saint Michael’s College.

In addition to the application form, students should submit an official transcript from their high school. The transcript should be directed to the Registrar’s Office at Saint Michael’s College.

Class schedules normally are published in mid-March for the fall semester, in mid-October for the spring semester and in early March for the summer session. There’s a link to class schedules here. For course descriptions consult the college catalog.

For questions or further information contact:

Phone: 802.654.2571
email: Officeoftheregistrar@smcvt.edu

  • Would you be interested in studying sustainable agriculture at Sterling College?
  • Are you interested in spending a semester studying the arts or languages at Middlebury or Bennington College?
  • Do you want to gain a fresh outlook on your academic field and take some unique courses at another Vermont college that will expand your knowledge and perspective?

An exciting opportunity is now available to full-time students attending independent (private) colleges in Vermont, including Saint Michael’s College. The program allows full-time students in good standing to be nominated by their home institution for a semester of study at another Vermont school with no extra tuition costs. The program is similar to our study abroad program, in that you continue to pay Saint Michael’s tuition (with your regular financial aid package) but you pay room and board and student fees to the host institution.

This program is competitive, and all of the participating institutions must limit the number of students that are nominated and accepted. Courses taken at the host institution need to be approved by the Registrar (and by your major department if you want it to count towards a major).

For more information please contact the Office of the Associate Dean of the College:
Tim Mackin
Klein Hall 105

Saint Michael’s College and Rice Memorial High School in South Burlington, Vermont, have established a partnership that enables students at Rice to take courses at Saint Michael’s in their senior year.  This arrangement, called the Partnership for Advanced Learning (PAL), will gain students college credits in courses that also count toward their high school graduation requirements.

Through the PAL Program students may take one course per semester in the senior year (excluding the summer after graduation from Rice); students in the junior class may be given permission to participate in the program by exception when warranted.

Selection for participation in the PAL Program is competitive.  Generally speaking, students approved for the program will have an overall grade average at Rice of 93 or better and a satisfactory disciplinary record, and will have successfully completed all of the Rice course offerings in the academic discipline in which they wish to take a course at Saint Michael’s.  Students apply for the program through the guidance department at Rice.

Tuition per credit in the PAL Program is set at the per-credit rate for in-state students at the Community College of Vermont.   In the Fall and Spring semester, Rice High School pays for one-half of the tuition and students pay for one-half.  In the Summer session, the students are responsible for the entire tuition.  Students are also responsible for transportation, any laboratory fees, books and supplies.

Class schedules at Saint Michael’s are normally published in mid-March for the fall semester and in mid-October for the spring semester. There’s a link to class schedules here.  For course descriptions consult the college catalog.

The forms required for participation in the PAL Program are the Rice High School application form (available at the guidance office at Rice), and, after the application is approved at Rice, the registration form for Saint Michael’s.