Frequently Asked Questions

How do I register for classes?

English Language Program Students: Upon arrival you will be tested to determine your level.  IEP students will be automatically registered in the level determined from testing.  AEP students will register for classes with the Faculty Advisor for International Students once their level is determined.

Undergraduate Students: After you make your deposit, the first step is to complete a New Student Information Form in your admission portal which will include questions about your academic interests.  After you complete your form, a faculty advisor may contact you to provide advice and answer any questions.  At the end of July, you will receive your course schedule for fall.  Review Suggestions for Selecting Courses for more information about the registration process.

When should I arrive?

You should arrive on the date specified in your admission letter.  If you arrive before this date, you will likely need to stay at a local hotel at your own expense and take a taxi to your destination.  Make your flight arrangements to the Burlington International Airport (BTV) in Burlington, Vermont.

How do I arrange an airport transfer?

Send an email to to let us know your flight details. If you will be living on campus, we will pick you up at Burlington International Airport (BTV).

Who will meet me at the airport (bus or train station)?

One of our Student Assistants will meet you.  They will help you with your luggage, drive you to campus, and assist you with getting settled in your residence hall.

What happens if my flight is delayed or canceled?

Before your departure, the Student Assistant’s (SA) name and contact information will be emailed to you or your representative.  If there are any changes in your travel plans, please call, text or email the SA and include your name, your new flight number to BTV, and the new time of arrival.

Can I open an account at a local bank?

Yes. During the first week, students have the opportunity to open an account. A bank representative will come to campus or one of our Student Assistants will bring students to the bank. If you open an account, you will be issued a debit card.

What clubs on campus can I join?

International students are encouraged to get involved at Saint Michael’s. For a list of student clubs and organizations, please visit our Student Organizations page. Stay informed about upcoming plans for your favorite campus clubs and organizations by joining the group’s email distribution list. Sign up at “Mailing Lists” found through the portal.

How can I find out what’s going on around campus?

All international students belong to the International Student email distribution list. Members of this list receive messages about events on campus and in the local area that might be of interest to international students. You also are encouraged to sign up for specific club and organization mailing lists found on the portal. The SMC calendar can be accessed from any SMC webpage.

Where can I learn about opportunities to volunteer in the community?

MOVE (Mobilization of Volunteer Efforts) offers many short-term and long-term opportunities throughout the year, as well as extended service trips during school recesses.

Can I get a Vermont driver’s license?

If you are at least 18 years old, you can apply for a driver’s license through the Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles website. Free sample written tests are available here. If you already have a valid driver’s license from your home country, you can check here to confirm whether that license, in conjunction with an international driving permit, will be valid in Vermont.

May I work while at Saint Michael’s?

Students on an F-1 visa are allowed to work on campus up to 20 hours per week during the academic year and more than 20 hours per week during school recesses. F-1 students cannot work off campus without prior permission from the Immigration Service.

Do I need to submit my immunization record before coming to the U.S.?

Yes. Vermont state law requires that all students are immunized.

What if I am unable to get all of the required vaccines?

Our Health Services staff will review your immunization record and determine whether or not you need any additional vaccines. Arrangements will be made to get vaccinated at our Wellness Center on campus or to take students to a nearby pharmacy to do so.

There is currently a $20 fee for each administered vaccine for any student using the Saint Michael’s College insurance plan. This will be due at the time of the administration of the vaccine. If you need more than one vaccine, note that it is $20 for each vaccine.

What about health insurance?

English Language Program students: Students’ tuition includes the Saint Michael’s College health insurance plan.

Undergraduate and Graduate students: You must either purchase insurance through Saint Michael’s or provide evidence of your own insurance coverage valid in the US.

Here is a link to a short video that explains health insurance and health care in the United States.

What do I do if I get sick?

On campus, the Bergeron Wellness Center provides both physical and mental health care for students.  An urgent care clinic is across the street from Saint Michael’s College and the local hospital is close by. Read more here.

What are dorm rooms furnished with?

Each room has a bed, mattress, desk, chair, drawers and/or closet for clothing, window shade, and a trash bin.

Is linen provided (sheets, towels, etc.)?

English Language Program Students: Sheets, towels, a blanket and pillow are provided. Linen service is included in the cost of tuition.

Undergraduates: As a courtesy, these same items are provided for undergraduates during the first week. Students can continue linen service for a fee; otherwise, these items need to be returned.

Can I choose my roommate?

English Language Program Students: Room assignments are made by our housing staff.

Undergraduates: Please follow the instructions provided on the Forms + Critical Dates page (under “Helpful Information to Assist in Completing New Student Forms”).

Can I stay on campus during breaks?

Yes. With permission, students may stay on campus during break periods. Meals are provided during this time.

Where can I store my things when I go home for the summer?

There are local storage companies that rent space. Reservations should be made well in advance.

When I complete my studies at Saint Michael’s, can I leave unwanted items in my room?

No. All of your personal belongings need to be taken with you.  Your room should be left neat and orderly. If there are items you do not wish to take, you can share with a friend or donate them.

When do I need to vacate my room after I complete my studies?

The Residence Life staff in your building will provide these details to you.

From what countries do international students come?

Countries of origin vary year to year.  Last year 39 different countries were represented on campus.

What does my meal plan include?

All students who live on campus have a meal plan and eat in the dining hall. The dining hall is open daily from early morning until early evening with unlimited servings at breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

What about campus safety?

Saint Michael’s College is a safe place for international students to study.  Each residence hall has staff members who oversee the building and support its residents. In addition, our Public Safety Officers strive to maintain a safe campus environment day and night.

What do I need to know before I travel outside the US?

Make sure your passport is valid for at least 6 months after your planned re-entry to the US. Also check that your F-1 visa will be valid when you plan to return to the US. If it is expired or will expire while you are outside the country, you will need to apply for and receive a new F-1 visa before you can return. In addition, be sure page 2 of your Form I-20 has been signed by a Designated School Official (DSO) within 12 months of your planned return date. If you intend to travel to a country besides your home country, check to make sure you have any visas that are required.

What documents do I need to visit Canada?

Visit the Canadian government’s website to determine if you need a tourist visa to enter Canada as well as information about how to apply.

When do I pay for my program?

English Language Program Students: The charges for your first session are included in your enrollment package with your I-20.  All fees must be paid not less than 10 days prior to your program’s start date.

Undergraduate Students:  Undergraduate students are billed by semester.  The invoice for your first semester will be sent at the end of July.  Payment must be made by the end of August.

How do I pay my tuition and other charges?

We offer several options for making international payments. Visit our international payments page to learn more.  Find more information about tuition and payments at Student Financial Services.

What is the winter like in Vermont?

Winter in Vermont is unpredictable. Most of the time temperatures range from -1.1 degrees Celsius to -23.3 degrees Celsius with various amounts of snow. Wearing a warm coat and boots, a hat, and gloves is important. You can bring these items or purchase them in Vermont.

Is Wi-Fi available on campus?

Yes. All residence halls and most areas on campus are equipped with Wi-Fi.