Frequently Asked Questions

How do I register for classes?

After you submit your deposit, the first step is to complete a New Student Information Form in your admission portal which will include questions about your academic interests.  After you complete your form, a faculty advisor may contact you to provide advice and answer any questions.  At the end of July, you will receive your course schedule for fall.  Review Suggestions for Selecting Courses for more information about the registration process.

When should I arrive?

We want to be sure you feel welcome from the moment you arrive. A member of our International Student Services team will reach out to you to arrange a pickup from the airport or facilitate your arrival. Please visit our International Orientation page for more information.

What is the college’s address?

One Winooski Park, Colchester, Vermont 05439, USA. Please see Housing section for more information about your mailbox.


Can I open an account at a local bank?

Yes. There are several banks near campus, and bank representatives will be available during orientation. An International Student Advisor will help you gather the information you need to open an account.

What clubs on campus can I join?

International students are encouraged to get involved at Saint Michael’s. For a list of student clubs and organizations, please visit our Student Organizations page. Stay informed about upcoming plans for your favorite campus clubs and organizations by joining the group’s email distribution list. Sign up at “Mailing Lists” found through the portal.

How can I find out what’s going on around campus?

All students receive the Daily Digest, an email that shares information about events on campus and in the community. You also are encouraged to sign up for specific club and organization mailing lists found on the portal. The SMC calendar can be accessed from any SMC webpage.

Where can I learn about opportunities to volunteer in the community?

MOVE (Mobilization of Volunteer Efforts) offers many short-term and long-term opportunities throughout the year, as well as extended service trips during school recesses.

Can I get a Vermont driver’s license?

 If you are at least 18 years old, you can apply for a driver’s license through the Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles website. Free sample written tests are available here. If you already have a valid driver’s license from your home country, you can check here to confirm whether that license, in conjunction with an international driving permit, will be valid in Vermont.

Can I work while I’m a student?

Students on an F-1 visa are allowed to work on campus up to 20 hours per week during the academic year and more than 20 hours per week during school breaks. F-1 students cannot work off campus without prior permission from the Immigration Service.

Do I need to submit my immunization record before coming to the U.S.?

Yes. Vermont state law requires that all students are immunized.

Is there a COVID-19 vaccine requirement?

For the latest requirements, please check out our Return to Campus page and the Student Health Services page.

What if I am unable to get all of the required vaccines?

 Our Health Services staff will review your immunization record and determine whether you need any additional vaccines. Arrangements will be made to get vaccinated at our Wellness Center on campus or at a nearby pharmacy.

What should I know about health insurance?

You must either purchase insurance through Saint Michael’s or provide evidence of your own insurance coverage valid in the US.

Here is a link to a short video that explains health insurance and health care in the United States.

What do I do if I get sick?

On campus, the Bergeron Wellness Center provides both physical and mental health care for students.  An urgent care clinic is across the street from Saint Michael’s College and the local hospital is close by.  Read more here.

What are dorm rooms furnished with?

Each room has a bed, mattress, desk, chair, drawers and/or closet for clothing, window shade, and a trash bin.

What are some essential items I should pack?

Official documents (I-20, passport, visa, etc) are a must, always have them accessible throughout yours travels. Other things that are important include adapters/converters (outlets in the US are type B) and heavy winter clothes. For more suggestions, please visit our What to Bring page. You can also purchase items online and have them shipped to your SMC mailbox, so they are ready for you when you arrive.

Where can I get linens (sheets, towels, etc.)?

There are many places near campus that sell these items if you choose not to bring them with you. Some students choose to order these items in advance and have them shipped to campus. Bed Bath and Beyond, Amazon, Target, and Walmart are some common places where you could order these items. You will receive more information before your arrival.

Can I ship items to campus before I arrive?

Yes, you will receive your SMC mailbox number along with your housing assignment. The mailroom will hold packages for you, but requests that packages arrive no earlier than August 9.

Can I choose my roommate?

You will receive instructions on how to request a roommate after confirming your enrollment. Learn about roommate requests and more on Housing Details.

What kinds of themed housing are available on campus?

There are four different housing communities on campus: GREAT Housing (Alcohol and Drug free), Honors Housing, GEAR Housing (Global Experience Academic Residential), and LGBTQ+ and Allies Housing. For more information, please visit Housing Communities.

Are the dorms accessible to students with disabilities?

Yes. If you have any special accommodation requests, you can contact Housing.

How far are the dorms from the academic buildings?

All dorms and townhouses are at most a 15-minute walk from the academic buildings.

Can I stay on campus during breaks?

Yes. With permission, students may stay on campus during break periods. Meals are provided during this time. There may be charges for staying on campus over breaks.

Where can I store my things when I go home for the summer?

There are local storage companies that rent space. Reservations should be made well in advance.

When I complete my studies at Saint Michael’s, can I leave unwanted items in my room?

No. All of your personal belongings need to be taken with you.  Your room should be left neat and orderly. If there are items you do not wish to take, you can share with a friend or donate them.

When do I need to vacate my room after I complete my studies?

 The Residence Life staff in your building will provide these details to you.

From what countries do international students come?

Countries of origin vary year to year.  Last year 39 different countries were represented on campus.

What does my meal plan include?

All students who live on campus have a meal plan and eat in the dining hall. The dining hall is open daily from early morning until early evening with unlimited servings at breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Can I get food elsewhere on campus if the dining hall is closed?

Yes. There is an Einstein Bros. Bagels and grill located in Dion Student Center, as well as Café Cheray near the academic buildings. You can stop by for coffee, breakfast items, sandwiches (hot and cold), or quick snacks.

What are some resources for international students on campus?

The Center for Multicultural Affairs and Services (CMAS) is located in Alliot 223. It is designed specifically to help International Students, BIPOC students, and First Gen students with everything related to campus life and beyond.

The Bergeron Wellness Center is also available for physical and mental health care.

The Director of International Student & Scholar Services provides support for all international students on campus.

What about campus safety?

Saint Michael’s College is a safe place for international students.  Each residence hall has staff members who oversee the building and support its residents. In addition, our Public Safety Officers strive to maintain a safe campus environment day and night.

Is there a place I can contact Public Safety or file a report?

Yes. You can use the LiveSafe app to check in with Public Safety whenever you might feel unsafe, send an emergency alert when you are in trouble, or send an anonymous tip or report.

What do I need to know before I travel outside the US?

Make sure your passport is valid for at least 6 months after your planned re-entry to the US. Also check that your F-1 visa will be valid when you plan to return to the US. If it is expired or will expire while you are outside the country, you will need to apply for and receive a new F-1 visa before you can return. In addition, be sure page 2 of your Form I-20 has been signed by a Designated School Official (DSO) within 12 months of your planned return date. If you intend to travel to a country besides your home country, check to make sure you have any visas that are required.

What documents do I need to visit Canada?

Visit the Canadian government’s website to determine if you need a tourist visa to enter Canada as well as information about how to apply.

When do I pay for my program?

Undergraduate students are billed by semester.  The invoice for your first semester will be available online approximately one month before the start of the semester. Payment must be made two weeks before classes begin. If a family member is paying your bill, we encourage you to authorize them as a proxy to view your account, print a statement, and pay the balance online.

How do I pay my tuition and other charges?

We offer several options for making your payment. Visit our international payments page to learn more. Find more information about tuition and payments at Student Financial Services.

What is the winter like in Vermont?

Winter in Vermont is beautiful, often sunny, and conducive to snow sports. Most of the time temperatures range from 5 degrees Celsius to -25 degrees Celsius with various amounts of snow. Wearing a warm coat, boots, a hat, and gloves helps you enjoy the season. You can bring these items or purchase them in Vermont during the fall.

What is the weather like when we first arrive?

Summer in Vermont could get up to 35 degrees Celsius.


Is Wi-Fi available on campus?

Yes. All residence halls and most areas on campus are equipped with Wi-Fi.