The end of this academic year culminated in what many have called the best commencement in memory. Having been at so many graduations, I can tell you it was the most inspirational and moving one I have ever attended. As we listened to the words spoken from the dais and saw the excited faces of students accepting their degrees, one could not help but feel a sense of great pride in what was accomplished, and confidence that the mission, education, and experience that Saint Michael's College provides is more valuable and relevant than ever. The fact that such a great commencement came at the end of a difficult year, with challenges from within and from without, made the event even more poignant. It helped us all recognize, rejoice and share in the great and meaningful work that is accomplished at Saint Michael’s and focus on the critical endeavors that lie ahead of us.
As we consider Jack’s announcement this past week, it is right that we look back with pride and gratitude for what he has accomplished, and also that we look forward with a sense of excitement and certainty in finding new leadership for Saint Michael's College. I speak for all the trustees when I say that through all our years together our confidence in Jack has only deepened and there are still many goals for us to achieve and tasks for us to accomplish together in the year ahead.
The search for new leadership for the College is among the most important tasks a Board undertakes. You have our commitment to make it a priority to keep you informed of the process as we move forward while understanding that there are aspects of the search process including committee deliberations and candidate information that must be handled confidentially.
So far we have accomplished the following:
- Selected the search firm, AGB Search, led by Dr. Jamie Ferrare, to assist us in the search process. Jamie has many years of experience in helping institutions of higher education with the identification and selection of key leaders, particularly presidential searches. Many of you will have an opportunity to meet personally with Jamie.
- Selected a Presidential Search Committee to assist the Board of Trustees in this most important responsibility. The Search Committee members include:
Mary-Kate McKenna '80, Chair of the Board of Trustees and Search Committee
Joseph P. Garrity '78, Trustee, Vice Chair of the Search Committee
Stephen W. Hornat '72, SSE, Superior General and Vice Chair of the Board of Trustees
Don Dion '76, Trustee
Peg Albert, O.P., Trustee
Maureen K. Usifer '82, Trustee
Mark Lubkowitz, Professor Biology, Faculty Representative to Trustees
Peter Vantine, Associate Professor Modern Languages, Faculty Representative to Trustees
Kellie Campbell, Accelerated Summer College Director and IT Assistant Director
Kimoi Seale '06, Asst. Dean of Students / Asst. Dir., Center for Multicultural Affairs
David Theroux ’70, SSE, Instructor Religious Studies and Director of the Edmundite Center for Faith and Culture
Emily Ferreri, Student, Class of 2019, Women’s Basketball, Student Athletic Advisory Committee
Michael New, Staff to Search Committee (Ex Officio)
Over the summer months the work of the search committee will focus on the following goals:
- Develop a Comprehensive Position Prospectus that discusses the College priorities for the next president and personal qualities and professional experience we are seeking in our next president.
- In concert with AGB Search, we will develop, review and approve advertising copy announcing the search to be used in assorted publications and websites.
- Provide a section on the College website dedicated to the Presidential Search that will both present information on the search and serve as a vehicle for the community to provide input.
We anticipate completing the majority of our work during the fall semester and naming the new president by year-end or early in the new year. Again, I will do my best to keep you informed, while balancing that commitment with the need to maintain confidentiality.
I hope that you have some time this summer to relax and enjoy the great Vermont weather, but also to reflect on past accomplishments and look forward to the important work that lies ahead of us.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact me or any members of the search committee.