Records and Transcripts

Click below for information on requesting transcripts and records.

Transcripts are the complete and official record of academic activity at Saint Michael’s College. Official transcripts are issued by the Registrar’s Office. “Official” means that the transcript bears the registrar’s signature and the college seal, and that it is sent from the Registrar’s Office or its agent directly to the party that should receive it.

Saint Michael’s College has partnered with Credentials Inc. TranscriptsPlus to provide our online transcript ordering system and also to be the official agent for secure delivery of academic transcripts in electronic formats.

All current and former Saint Michael’s College students can click on the link below to begin the online ordering process. TranscriptsPlus will provide options to order paper transcripts (hardcopy) or secure, electronic transcripts.

Order a transcript

Trinity College Students: Saint Michael’s College serves as the repository for academic records of students who attended Trinity College in Burlington, Vermont. Trinity College students may order transcripts online through TranscriptsPlus (see link above). Trinity College students may only order paper transcripts (hardcopy).

There is a fee of $8.00 for each transcript order. Rush service (processed before the end of the following business day) is available for $12.00 for each order. Online orders will require credit card payment (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover) at the time of the order. You will also have the option for express postal delivery. Additional postage fees will apply.

If you are uncomfortable placing an order over the Internet, you can call Credentials Inc. at 847-716-3005 to place your transcript request. There is an additional operator surcharge for placing orders over the telephone.

Students and former students who have “holds” for reasons such as unpaid fees, unreturned library materials, etc. will not receive transcript service until the reasons for the hold are satisfied.

A photo ID is required for picking up transcripts at the Registrar’s Office.

Enrollment Verification

Students may need verification of their enrollment status for purposes such as eligibility for insurance coverage or deferment of student loans.

Enrollment status may be certified after the beginning of a term if the student has registered for courses and paid tuition and fees.

Undergraduate students are certified as full-time if they are registered for 12 credits or more. Those with fewer than twelve credits will be certified as part-time.

Graduate students will be certified as full-time if they are registered for 9 credits or more. Those with fewer than nine credits will be certified as part-time.

There are two options for students who need a document certifying their enrollment status, using the self service process at the National Student Clearinghouse, or requesting verification from the SMC Registrar’s Office.

Student Self-Service Verification

Saint Michael’s College has authorized the National Student Clearinghouse to provide degree and enrollment verifications for students and former students. The Clearinghouse is a secure site that’s available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Through the Clearinghouse students can obtain – and print out – an enrollment certificate. There is a fee for this service.

The web address for for the National Student Clearinghouse enrollment verification service is

The National Student Clearinghouse, a non-profit association founded by the higher education community, streamlines the student record verification process for colleges and universities, current and former students, lending institutions, employers, and other organizations. The Clearinghouse maintains a comprehensive electronic registry of student records that provides a single, highly automated point-of-contact for organizations and individuals requiring timely and accurate verification of student enrollment, degree and loan data.

On-Campus Verifications

Students can request enrollment verifications at the Registrar’s Office, Klein Hall, Suite C or

Registrar’s Office
Saint Michael’s College
One Winooski Park
Colchester, VT 05439

Or by FAX at 802.654.2690.

Please use the verification form and be sure to include your name, the name under which you attended (if different), Social Security Number, dates of attendance, and graduation date. The request should also include a complete address of where the verification should be sent.

Current Student Portal Verification

Current students can request enrollment verifications electronically on the College portal mySMC. After you log in, the Verification of Enrollment or Degree Form link can be found at the Registrar’s Office portal page, which is under the Academics tab on the portal.

Verification of Degrees

Saint Michael’s College has authorized the National Student Clearinghouse to provide degree verifications. The National Student Clearinghouse can be contacted at or via mail at:

National Student Clearinghouse
2300 Dulles Station Boulevard, Suite 300
Herndon, VA 20171

Trinity College Verifications

Saint Michael’s College serves as the repository for academic records of students who attended Trinity College in Burlington, Vermont. Those needing enrollment or degree verifications for Trinity College should contact the Registrar’s Office at Saint Michael’s. The National Student Clearinghouse does not have enrollment or degree records from Trinity College.

The College’s Enrollment Certifying Official for Veterans Educational Benefits is David Barrowclough, Registrar. Students eligible for these benefits should request an enrollment certification after registering each semester. In order to register for benefits students will be expected to present the certificate of eligibility.

Saint Michael’s College certifies students who are veterans or dependents eligible for benefits under Federal Law, Chapters 30, 31, 32, 33, 35, 1606 or 1607, and the college participates in the Yellow Ribbon Program. Students attending the college under one of the VA programs should contact the certifying official in the event of any change in credit load, dependency status, address, or major.

Marnie Owen
Klein Hall, Suite C

Saint Michael’s College presents diplomas to students upon completion of their degree requirements (May, August or December) and after approval of the Board of Trustees. The college does not keep copies of diplomas presented.

Occasionally it happens that a graduate may want a replacement diploma because the original was lost or damaged or because of a name change. Replacement diplomas can be requested through the Registrar’s Office.

If the replacement diploma is desired because of change in name, the Registrar’s Office will require documentation such as a copy of a court order or a copy of a marriage license.

To request a replacement diploma the graduate should send a letter to the Registrar’s Office at Saint Michael’s College including the following information…

  • The graduate’s name
  • College ID number or Social Security Number
  • Date of graduation
  • Degree received
  • Instructions on how the name should be printed on the diploma (e.g., Mary A. Smith or Mary Anne Smith)
  • The address to which the diploma should be mailed
  • A signature of the graduate authorizing the diploma reprint

Enclose with this letter a $25.00 check payable to Saint Michael’s College. Allow four weeks for delivery.

Registrar’s Office
Saint Michael’s College
One Winooski Park
Colchester, VT 05439

Replacement diplomas display the signatures of the current Saint Michael’s president and academic vice-president, but show the original date of the award.

Apostille is a French word that means certification. It is a form of authentication appropriate to countries which have signed the 1961 Hague Convention Abolishing the Requirement of Legalization of Foreign Public Documents.

Students and former students living and working in foreign countries may need educational records like diplomas or transcripts authenticated with an apostille. Saint Michael’s College has set out these steps for processing such documents:

For transcripts, send a letter requesting the apostille along with a completed Registrar’s Office form and mail it to the Registrar’s Office with the appropriate fee.

For diplomas, send a letter requesting the apostille along with a photocopy of your diploma to the Registrar’s Office. The college does not keep copies of diplomas presented to graduates. If you need a replacement diploma mention that in your letter. Include payment for the replacement diploma, $25.

In addition to the above, include a completed State of Vermont Apostille Request form. The form, along with information from the State of Vermont Office of the Secretary of State is also available here. You will also need to enclose a check for $10.00 for each document, made out to the Vermont Secretary of State. If you want the Secretary of State’s office to send your documents via special means such as Federal Express or any other courier service, you must provide a prepaid air bill. Unless otherwise instructed, your documents will be mailed via first class mail.

When the Registrar’s Office receives the items mentioned above, office staff will prepare the documents, complete the affidavit, have them notarized by a Vermont Notary Public, and send them, along with your check and the State of Vermont form, to the office of the Vermont Secretary of State.

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords students certain rights with respect to their education records. These rights are:

  1. The right to inspect and review the student’s education records within 45 days of the day the college receives a request for access. Students should submit to the registrar, dean, or head of the academic department written requests that identify the record(s) they wish to inspect. The college official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.
  2. The right to request the amendment of the student’s education records that the student believes is inaccurate or misleading. Students may ask the college to amend a record that they believe is inaccurate or misleading. They should write the college official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record they want changed, and specify why it is inaccurate or misleading. If the college decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, the college will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of his or her right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.
  3. The right to consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student’s education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent. One exception, which permits disclosure without consent, is disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is defined as a person employed by the college in an administrative, supervisory, academic, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit and health staff); a person or company with whom the college has contracted (such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent); a person serving on the Board of Trustees; or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibility.The college may disclose certain Directory Information without a student’s prior written consent. The college designates the following as Directory Information: The student’s name, addresses, telephone number, e-mail address, date and place of birth, class, academic major, enrollment status, honors (including Dean’s List), degrees (including dates) and awards received, dates of attendance, the previous institution(s) attended, participation in officially recognized sports and activities, and weight and height of athletic team members. If a student does not want this information to be released he/she must request in writing that it be withheld.

    Requests should be directed to:

    Registrar’s Office
    Saint Michael’s College
    One Winooski Park
    Colchester, VT 05439
  4. The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the college to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the Office that administers FERPA is:
    Family Policy Compliance Office
    U.S. Department of Education
    400 Maryland Avenue, S.W.
    Washington, DC 20202-4605
As of January 3, 2012, the U.S. Department of Education’s FERPA regulations expand the circumstances under which your education records and personally identifiable information (PII) contained in such records — including your Social Security Number, grades, or other private information — may be accessed without your consent. First, the U.S. Comptroller General, the U.S. Attorney General, the U.S. Secretary of Education, or state and local education authorities (“Federal and State Authorities”) may allow access to your records and PII without your consent to any third party designated by a Federal or State Authority to evaluate a federal- or state-supported education program. The evaluation may relate to any program that is “principally engaged in the provision of education,” such as early childhood education and job training, as well as any program that is administered by an education agency or institution. Second, Federal and State Authorities may allow access to your education records and PII without your consent to researchers performing certain types of studies, in certain cases even when we object to or do not request such research. Federal and State Authorities must obtain certain use-restriction and data security promises from the entities that they authorize to receive your PII, but the Authorities need not maintain direct control over such entities. In addition, in connection with Statewide Longitudinal Data Systems, State Authorities may collect, compile, permanently retain, and share without your consent PII from your education records, and they may track your participation in education and other programs by linking such PII to other personal information about you that they obtain from other Federal or State data sources, including workforce development, unemployment insurance, child welfare, juvenile justice, military service, and migrant student records systems.

Academic institutions are required under federal law to treat student academic records as confidential. Under the provisions of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA), students have certain rights to privacy concerning the release of their educational records.

Many offices at the college have access to student records through their networked computer. This access has been established to provide information in a timely fashion for those who work with students, but it also provides the potential for inadvertent or deliberate violations of students’ privacy rights. It is the responsibility of faculty and staff to be aware of limitations on how this information may be used.

Although the law is continually being interpreted in court cases, the following general guidelines should be observed:

  • Student records may be viewed by college officials for college business. Instructors, advisers, deans, or department chairs may review a student’s academic records, such as courses taken and grades earned. Such access is limited to those with a legitimate educational interest in the student’s record. Viewing information for personal reasons is a violation of the student’s privacy rights.
  • Because FERPA gives students the right of access to their official educational records, information may be disclosed to the individual student. In the case of phone calls, however, you should not release information unless you are certain that the caller is the student.
  • Student data may not be disclosed to third parties unless the student provides a written statement permitting release. This prohibition includes the student’s parents unless the student is a dependent as defined for federal income tax purposes.
  • Information may not be released to government officials (including those from law enforcement agencies) without a written release from the student or a court order. Any subpoenas or court orders for student academic records should be referred to the registrar’s office.
  • Under the provisions of FERPA, the college may release directory information about current students without violating privacy rights. Directory information includes name, address and telephone number, as well as verification of dates of enrollment and degrees awarded. Individual students may request that this directory information not be released. When that happens, those students are excluded from any printed directories.
  • When in doubt, information should not be released. For example, if a caller needs to know where a student is because of an emergency, never look up a student’s class schedule and give it out. Instead, refer the caller to the security office, which will locate the student if they determine the call is legitimate.
  • The posting of grades is discouraged, unless it is done with some system of codes that adequately prevents the identification of the students. Faculty should also avoid the practice of leaving graded exams or papers in an area to be picked up by students.
  • Anyone with access to student records must observe the FERPA restrictions. In general, undergraduate student workers should not be given access to areas where student information resides because of the potential for misuse. If there is a need for graduate assistants to work with student data, they should first be informed of these privacy concerns.
  • It is important for all college employees to be aware of and to follow these guidelines. Violations of students’ privacy rights can result in legal action or in the elimination of federal aid to the college. Any questions may be directed to the Registrar’s Office, Klein Hall, Suite C, or phone 802.654.2571.