Latin Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of the major, Latin students will be able to:
- Students will articulate and evaluate arguments, beginning with gramatical and philological assessments.
- Students will write effectively.
- Students will be prepared for careers in the professions of medicine, law, and academic life.
- Students will demonstrate knowledge of authors, genres, and texts from all periods of Latin literature.
- Students will describe the dialogue between Ancients and Moderns, helping them to understand the significance of what is sometimes described as ‘The Battle of the Books’.
- Students will engage questions of faith and reason (‘What has Athens to do with Jerusalem?’).